I have been convicted before. So often the root problem in parenting is not the behavior of the children, it is the expectation of the parents.
I remember when Rosie was two. We were having sleep issues. I happened to be attending a conference where Dr Popcak was speaking. I don't recall how I ended up in a mini-session with him...therapists must be good at that....but he ended up challenging my expectations. He encouraged me to think beyond the surface to understand her behaviors. Those 3 minutes were so important.
Suddenly that huge issue was not so huge. When I understood the behavior was related to an insecurity and I could help her through the insecurity, the behavior began to change.
In the last year I have been telling many I am "surviving" parenthood. Once upon a time I read parenting books. With three little ones, I just do. I just "survive." When I started this series this idea of expectations came to mind. In confession, the priest challenged me again about my expectations.
Much of my parenting anger could potentially be resolved by expecting, anticipating or understanding "bad" behavior of my 1 and 2 year olds.
How to go about this is the challenge.
I just downloaded the app for Ave Maria radio and will try to start podcasting. Dr Popcak and his wife start at 12pm EST. Dr Ray Guarendi and Colleen Mast discuss parenting topics at 1pm EST. I am hoping to try to catch a couple of these a week...or even one a week as a personal parenting challenge.
I am praying to find the right resource to connect with. The right book? The right author? The right podcast? The right anything.
Dave Ramsey has helped my husband and I tremendously in our financial life. Hopefully someone will click with us as parents.
No comments:
Post a Comment