Sunday, September 30, 2012

overcoming anger {day 1} set a bedtime

Anger is something I have been struggling with in my motherhood for the last year.  I was made spiritually aware of the darkness of my soul last spring.

I never wanted to spank.

I never wanted to yell.

I never wanted to be so upset with being a mom - a  full time, all the time, stay at home mom.

I was desperate for motherhood for almost 5 years before it came.  And in 4 years I have been blessed 3 times.  Once biologically.  Twice by adoption.   My youngest two are medically challenging and they are toddlers.  We have multiple therapists in our house a week.  My 1 year old was born addicted to drugs.  She screams. Still.

I felt the need to put my life in perspective to give myself a pat on the back.  I am the mother of babies.  Tough babies.  I need some tougher skin.  I need to stop spanking.  I need to find joy in my children and my life once again.

For that reason, God has put this series on my heart.  For 31 days I am going to focus on this topic and share whatever the Holy Spirit gives me along the way.  I hope that it can be helpful to other women struggling.  I have been told time and time again, I am not alone in this struggle.

~~~~~

31 Days of Overcoming Anger
{day 1} Set a Bed Time

At the advice of my wise husband, I am going to do my best to have an earlier bed time.  Starting today, my bedtime is 10pm.  Sleep buys patience.  Patience is needed in my house.  I can't afford to waste this precious should-be-sleeping time on mindless web browsing or movie watching.

{day 2} find support
{day 3} know your weak times
{day 4} know your enemy
{day 5} find joy in your day
{day 6} let it go
{day 7} you are not alone
{day 8} DO NOT DISMISS IT
{day 9} no superficial blogging here
{day 10} working through the challenges
{day 11} rid your house of floating screens
{day 12} rejoice in the wonderful
{day 13} thank you
{day 14} rescue
{day 15} peace
{day 16} dealing with it
{day 17} sometimes you need to step away
{day 18} share your light
{day 19} quick takes edition
{day 20} lower your expectations
{day 21} watch supernanny
{day 22} what supernanny taught me
{day 23} take courage
{day 24} use kind words
{day 25} on adoption
{day 26} on grace
{day 27} physical discipline
{day 28 & 29} anger is like a hurricane
{day 30} therapy
{day 31 & beyond} learning & growing from therapy

4 comments:

Jenny said...

This is a great piece of advice. As the (foster) mother of 4.5 year old twins whose case has gone on nearly 2.5 years, I find myself angry about the situation a lot. And I don't want to be angry. A set bedtime is a blessed thing.

Julie said...

I have recently turned a corner in my life as a mother. I have come to accept that Isaiah is tough and he may scream a lot for the rest of his life and it is not because I am a bad mother...it is what it is.

Praying for you to find peace...and are able to get to bed early!

Anonymous said...

I love this limit you're setting yourself but had to laugh that same night as 2 of our kids were still up (or up again) after 10! (They're all sick...)

Unknown said...

Wow! I just found your site. I'm so proud of you for posting this. I also have problems with anger. It's so embarrassing. I've written about it on my blog for a couple of years, and its always so healing. (My friend a priest actually used one of my very old blog posts for a homily this year). You just keep going Sister! You're encouraging me to reexamine a problem I sort of just labeled "unfixable"--but everything is fixable with Jesus!