We sat down at the table to talk. First question, so what are you going to do about a baby's room? Paul's response was "we are not doing a baby's room!" We discussed that our idea has been to keep the guest room as such and have the baby in our room through infancy. It is our hope that as they grow, maybe Paul will build a crib, or we will buy a crib and then have a guest room/toddler room. Of couse I didnt mention any of that and didn't think out how this would sound, but now I envision her saying to herself "they don't want to give the child a room?" Next question, so will you send your child to the Catholic school? "Well, we were thinking about homeschooling." (now I am thinking she thinks we are nuts)
And then down the line comes the question of accepting a child of a different race or nationality. She asks "will you incorporate your child's customs into your family?" Should I give the response from the man who regularly sings "I am proud of my polish heritage!" After he explained the biblical idea of full inculturation into the family, I added that I have an eclectic background and do bring new traditions to the family. When she asked for questions, I decided not to mention anything yet about considering adoptive breast feeding. Enough nuttiness for one day!
Okay - so now I am busy reflecting on what we could have or should have said. Honestly, it was a good visit. I know that she can see we both so excited to welcome a child into our house and lives. Though I keep feeling the need to explain why we aren't "baby ready" - but she has done this for 16 years and probably knows. She said there is no reason we won't be approved. We still have to attend the adoptive parent panel, which will be held towards the end of September...and she needs to write up our homestudy report for approval. She thinks that our profile will be ready to be shown in October. We won't know when our profile is being shown - unless it is a circumstance that would require our approval. So - that is the update. Thanks to all for the prayers!!
3 comments:
what is "baby ready"
Baby Ready....meaning that we have what we need to bring a baby into our house right now. But, we know you don't need much...we are just setting up until we have a reason to.
I've never done this before, so I hope you get this response, Elisabeth.
I read thru your whole blog and was very much moved. The miracle of life will do that. I'm thrilled that the baby shower went so beautifully.
Re: adoptive nursing. It might
be best to discuss this by phone.
But I wanted you to know that a new
book is coming out any day now: "Breastfeeding an Adopted Baby and Relactation" by Elizabeth Hormann, published by La Leche
League Intl.
I am excited and heartened that you would even consider undertaking such a huge
challenge. The philosophy of
child rearing that you and Paul
expressed can best be expressed
as "attachment parenting"--meeting
the needs of your baby at every
stage of growth.
Induced lactation is such a worthy
goal--but you must also understand
that you need to be carefully
guided through the process. You
must be extremely diligent and
really want this. And then
you must also be prepared that it
just may not work out. What your
baby needs above all is a calm,
relaxed mom--not someone who thinks
she has to do everything "right."
Most importantly, remember that
you can still meet the needs of
your little one while giving a bottle--
but feeding & holding in a way that mimics breastfeeding. E.g.,
switching sides while feeding the
baby, lots of close contact,
keeping the baby near you as
you are already planning by allowing the baby to sleep with you or in your room. Possibly using the breast just for comfort.
Danita tells me that you already
have a La Leche League contact--which is great. You can also
go to LLL's website (lalechleague.org). If you want
I can also provide you with
contacts for further information.
Please call me if you think I can help.
Love,
"aunt" Barbara
Post a Comment